Thursday, February 22, 2007

Odds and Ends

On my way to work this morning, I was behind a car with a license plate that said simply

PNS
Now, hopefully you're more mature than I am, and didn't catch a fit of the giggles from it. It's probably somebody's initials, but there was only one thing my brain could make of that letter combination.

Speaking of this, if you're familiar with the MBTI, I am very much a J rather than a P. I have a friend who was in a committee member with her bishop a few weeks after they'd gone through an MBTI exercise together. The bishop, a ***P, was reacting to an issue in a rather predictable way, given his type. And my friend - lacking that same piece of her brain that I lack, the one that filters your thoughts before they come out of your mouth - said, "Bishop, your P-ness is showing." She reports that there was shocked silence before everyone realized what she had meant and burst into laughter.

On a more mature note, my sister is a researcher in psychology, and she works with titi monkeys.

Okay, so I guess that wasn't any more mature, either. :Sigh:

Our hedgehog, Angel, has become better adjusted to the hours we keep. She now emerges from her igloo (or rolled up blankie) when we're awake to play. Last night she spent a couple hours on her wheel, which made me very happy, because I hadn't seen her use it yet. She's gradually becoming more sociable. She still huffs and pops when we take her out of her cage, and when we handle her too much, but if you just sit her on your lap, she'll find a warm and cushy place on you where she'll settle in for a good, long snuggle.

I took a risk this morning, and posted one of my favorite poems by the Sufi mystic Hafez, in place of one of my typical quotations. Now, I don't know whether anyone actually looks at the quotations I've been sticking up on the white-board in the kitchen, and I haven't heard anything about this one yet. The wife of the former rector of a church I attended several years back was a Sufi scholar, and she introduced me to the poetry of Hafez, which is amazing. When I reaffirmed my baptismal vows before the bishop, I'd asked her to be my sponsor, and as her gift to me, she gave me this book, and I treasure it.

There are many things to be thankful for today - cases of the giggles, a little intentional immaturity, family pets, ecstatic poets, and all the people around. Not to mention Earl Grey tea and Diet Dr Pepper. :-)