Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday Five: The Muggle Version

This week, the RevGals have two different Friday Fives for us, and I'm playing them both. This one is the muggle version, with no HP content at all.


1. Former U.S. First Lady "Lady Bird" Johnson died this week. In honor of her love of the land and the environment, share your favorite flower or wildflower.

I am partial to the portulaca, or moss rose. Moss roses are bedding plants, annuals, and I see them a lot around southeastern Virginia in the summertime. What I love so much about them is that they are low to the ground and not usually noticed, but when you look closely at them, they are beautiful.


2. A man flew almost 200 miles in a lawn chair, held aloft by helium balloons. Share something zany you'd like to try someday.

You know, I've already done some pretty zany stuff this year, if you ask people who know me. I asked for a separation, I adopted a hedgehog, I moved into my own apartment, I went on two retreats, and I took a road trip to Canada and back on my own. I changed my church home, joined the choir, and volunteered to take the eucharist to parishioners who can't get to church because they are homebound, hospitalized, or in a nursing home. I got personalized license plates for my car. I know that none of this stuff is really out there, but it's all outside my normal comfort zone (to varying degrees, obviously). I'm sure there will be more as the year goes on, but right now, I'm pretty proud of myself.

On a zanier note, a couple years ago, I'd planned to reward myself when I reached 50 pounds of weight loss with a tattoo of a dragonfly on my right breast. Then I plateaued at 45 pounds and eventually quit Weight Watchers. Since 2007 began, I've lost almost 30 pounds, and I'm about to cross a major milestone. But I'm just not prepared to tattoo myself now. Oh well - I'll need a different zany reward!


3. Do you have an iPhone? If not, would you want one?

No and no.


4. Speaking of which, Blendtec Blenders put an iPhone in one of their super-duper blenders as part of their "Will It Blend?" series. What would YOU like to see ground up, whizzed up or otherwise pulverized in a blender?

A collection of Celine Dion CDs.
My ISO 9001 (1994) internal auditors' guide.


5. According to News of the Weird, a jury in Weld County, Colo., declined to hold Kathleen Ensz accountable for leaving a flier containing her dog's droppings on the doorstep of U.S. Rep. Marilyn Musgrave, apparently agreeing with Ensz that she was merely exercising free speech. What do you think? Is doggy doo-doo protected by the First Amendment?

You know what - I just can't answer this one right now! I'm vacillating, mostly leaning toward no, but I can't verbalize why. I'm tired, I'm hungry, I'm cranky, and I'm ready for a really long week to end... knowing that I have a full weekend of volunteering, chores, and other preparations ahead of me. So: sorry!