Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday Five: De-Cluttering

Today's Friday Five on RevGalBlogPals has to do with de-cluttering, simplifying. It's kind of a fun one, but with important ramifications - especially given our appointed gospel lesson this week... so here goes!

Making the most of our resources is important, I have been challenged this week by the amount of stuff we accumulate, I'd love to live a simpler lifestyle, it would be good for me, and for the environment I think...

With that in mind I bring you this Friday 5:

1. Are you a hoarder or a minimalist?

Um... yes. :-) I have aspects of both. There are some things - books, sheet music, MP3s, anything I've created - that I have a very hard time bringing myself to part with. There are others - clothes that don't fit, appliances I never use - that are much less difficult.


2. Name one important object (could be an heirloom) that you will never part with.

My flute! And my piccolo! And my sheet music! And my music stand! And my Lord of the Rings books! And my Harry Potter books! And...

Just one? I can only pick one? Do my children count? 'Cause I don't think I could choose between them. I'm really not sure how to answer this. There are many, many belongings that I cherish, but I have a hard time choosing one that I'd never give up. Perhaps... my collection of photographs. That is the only thing I own that could never be replaced.


3. What is the oldest item in your closet? Does it still fit???

Strictly speaking, the oldest things in my closet are my birth certificate and baptismal certificate, and those have never fit. But I think you mean clothes... in which case, nothing in there is all that old. I regularly pare out my closet - especially with the weight I've lost so far this year - so the oldest clothing items in there are certainly no more than 5 or 6 years old. And they would be golf shirts that I can still wear, 'cause who cares if your golf shirt is a little baggy?


4.Yard sales- love 'em or hate 'em?

Hate 'em, hate 'em, HATE 'EM!!!!!

Ugh. I'm a Navy brat, so when I was growing up, a couple months before every move, Mom would gather stuff together for a yard sale. There was no point in dragging with us clothes that didn't fit my sister or me, or bicycles that were outgrown, or toys or books that were too immature for us. And of course, we would have to help gather the merchandise, man the table - usually on a sweltering summer day - and then cart everything that was left at the end to charity. These days, I skip the yard sale, and if I don't know anyone who can use the stuff, I post it on craigslist or take it straight to the charity.


5. Name a recycling habit you really want to get into.

To be honest, I really haven't availed myself of the recycling dumpsters at my apartment complex yet. I need to get something to keep recyclables in until I'm ready to walk them down to the dumpster... and it can't be anything that holds too much, since my shoulder is still recovering from surgery. But I know I really need to make this a habit again.