Thursday, July 12, 2007

Poetry Thursday - Need

I have something a little introspective for you this Poetry Thursday. I worked from home yesterday, after working late the night before and being really tired as a result. I left my home a couple times, but mostly stayed here. Other than work, I did a few things around the place, but not the ones I've been putting off for days. (I hate filing! I love to create filing systems, but I hate filing once the system is set up. Weird of me, I know.) And though I was tired when I wrote this, I was not yet sleepy, so I was trying to slow down and settle in for the night when this bit of introspective fancy hit me.

Need
I need song!

Where is graceful melody
making my voice soar
my shoulders sway
transporting me to heaven?

I need music!
Where is beautiful sound
to fill my ears, my mind,
to make my fingers dance
to take me to another land?

I need verse!
Where are beautiful phrases
making my heart leap
my thoughts race
sending me to new directions?

I need story!
Where is the narrative
revealing your history
spelling out my own
showing us we're the same?

I need gospel!
Where is the good news
telling us we are special
letting us know we are loved
gathering each of us in?

I need love!
Where is my family
teasing me tenderly
supporting my weakness
standing firmly with me?

I need you!
Where are you now
reading this poem
nodding head silently
knowing these feelings?

What do you need?
I am here with you
singing my songs, speaking my words
telling our stories, sharing some hope
offering friendship and love.